To be eligible, you must meet the following:
- The water account is in your name
- You reside at the address provided on the utility bill
- You have not received assistance during the current program year (July to June)
- Your water bill balance has not been charged off to collections
- Your total gross household income is at or below 225 percent of the federal poverty level
How to apply
If you meet the requirements above, contact your nearest intake agency to schedule an appointment. Complete a Water Assistance Program Application and take it along with the following required documentation to your appointment.
- Valid proof of identification
- Social Security card
- Most recent DPU water utility bill
- Verification of income or unemployment for all adults in the household
- Rental or mortgage agreement with proof of payment
- Documentation to support size of household
Intake agencies are:
- Capital Area Partnership Uplifting People (CAPUP), 1021 Oliver Hill Way, 788-0050
- The Salvation Army, 2 W. Grace Street, 225-7470
- Richmond Department of Social Services (for existing clients only) at 900 E. Marshall St., 4100 Hull Street Road, or the East District Initiative.
Customers receiving assistance are subject to all provisions of applicable city ordinances. If you need more information, contact one of the partnering intake agencies.